Press and Media
Handmark Releases 2010 Mobile Media Consumption Report Results
Leading mobile app developer reports on mobile media category trends, spending habits and popularity of mobile among American consumers over the past year
KANSAS CITY, MO – (Dec. 7, 2010) – Handmark®, the leading developer of mobile applications for publishers and media brands, today announced the results of its comprehensive, nationwide Handmark Mobile Media Consumption Report.
To conduct the study, Handmark issued an in-depth survey to an audience of more than 300,000 mobile consumers spanning all age, demographic and income profiles throughout the United States. The report solicited their feedback on a variety of issues over the preceding year and heading into 2011, ranging from preferred methods of news consumption to purchasing patterns from their mobile device, and much more. The intention of the survey was to gain knowledge directly from the consumer that will support Handmark in delivering the best mobile products for its partners and customers.
Key highlights include: the rise of mobile over the desktop web and other traditional news mediums as the preferred method to access news and information and the increasing popularity of using mobile to make purchasing decisions.
Some of the most notable findings from the Handmark Mobile Media Consumption survey include:
- Media Category Trends
- 56% of respondents felt that they would use their mobile device more frequently to access news and information over the next 12 months; 42% reported they would use it about the same.
- News and current events is the most important category for which consumers use their mobile device to access information, followed by weather. Categories ranked as follows:
1. News/Current events: 40%
2. Weather 27%
3. Sports 9%
4. Business/Finance 6%
5. Entertainment 5%
6. Politics 3%
- Mobile Purchase Trends
- The average respondent expects to spend anywhere from 20 - 25% more to purchase goods via their mobile device in 2011 than they did in 2010. Additionally, 69% of respondents expect their mobile device to be their 2nd most popular medium to purchase products in 2011, behind only the desktop web.
- Mobile app usage has experienced a surge in popularity over the past year, with 56% of respondents using at least one app consistently on a weekly basis.
- Responses correlated with the news of many tablets hitting the market soon, with 52% reported they have plans to purchase a tablet in the next 12 months, and 14% already owning a tablet.
“Mobile has arrived as the next major medium sparking a revolution in the way people consume news and information, as well as the way they buy goods and services,” said Paul Reddick, Handmark CEO. “As we move into 2011, we will continue to see these trends rapidly accelerate as consumers rely even more heavily on their mobile device as the primary source for accessing news and information.”
For more information about Handmark and its Mobile Publishing Platform, please visit www.handmarkmobileapps.com.
Handmark is the world’s leading developer and distributor of mobile applications, specializing in mobile solutions for publishers and media companies. Leveraging 10 years of experience, Handmark is trusted by many of the world’s leading media brands. The company delivers the industry’s only full-service mobile publishing solution including development, distribution, monetization and on-going innovation across all major mobile platforms. Handmark also has a rich history of operating successful mobile application stores around the world and continues to create some of the industry's most successful mobile brands. For more information, visit www.handmarkmobileapps.com or follow Handmark on Twitter and Facebook.
North 6th Agency (for Handmark)